Tuesday 6 June 2017

Paul Beauchamp-Legg R.I.P.

BEAUCHAMP-LEGG, Paul. 

On Thursday June 1 2017, peacefully with family at Hospice Marlborough. 
Aged 89 years. 
Much-loved by his family. 
Special thanks to Picton Union Parish for the care and friendship. 
Messages may be sent to the Beauchamp-Legg Family, c/- P O Box 110, Blenheim 7240. 
A service for Paul will be held at the Picton Union Parish Church, 40 Broadway, Picton at 1pm Thursday June 8, followed by interment at Picton Cemetery. 
Respectfully cared for by Geoffrey T Sowman Blenheim FDANZ Tel 03 578 4719 www.sowmans.co.nz

********

I first met Paul - must have been in the early to mid 1960's - when I landed on a strip near Lauder in the then Wellington Aero Club's Cessna 172 (ZK-CGA from memory).
Paul was already parked up near the loading bin having completed a training flight with a local pupil. 
I recall that he was based at Oamaru at the time and that he had numerous pupils scattered around the interior.  
He chastised me severely for my shallow approach and he suggested that I should perhaps have had more flaps down for a steeper arrival which would have given me more choices if I had struck sink or some such on short final.
Unfortunately for me - my knowledgeable female passenger butted in and said that I couldn't get more flap down because with three of us across the front two seats I could only get two notches down.
I then received a well deserved half hour lecture on aviation safety and rules.
I also later got a letter from the 'Department'.
Anyway we were got on really well after that.

Farewell Paul.

1 comment: